One of the most common questions I receive from prospective clients is “How long will it take to complete my interior design project and have the items in my home?” It is very difficult to answer this question since each project is so unique and customized. In this article, I would like to provide a general outline of my process and then discuss several of the variables that may increase the overall time to complete a design project.
A Brief Outline:
- Meet with the client to discuss the scope of the project as well as design inspiration.
- Begin meeting/assembling the project team, including builders and architects.
- Meet with the client to discuss design concept. Changes and follow-up meetings if necessary.
- Present final design concept to client as well as prices and lead times for items to be ordered.
- Order custom items such as cabinetry, furniture, lighting, etc.
- Final installation.
Of course, not every project takes the same amount of time: it dependent on the size of the home, scope of the project, and the desires of the client. Several variables that may increase the overall completion time include:
- How often the client makes changes to the design concept.
- Availability of materials.
- Unforeseen setbacks during the construction phase, including weather.
Considering the process and potential setbacks, it typically takes 18 months to complete a custom build or as little as five months to complete a few rooms. As always, it’s all depends on the client’s needs.